OC Achieves SILVER STARS Sustainability Rating
We are proud to announce that OC received a SILVER Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS) rating for its committment to sustainability in education, operations, planning, administration and engagement!
This summer, Okanagan College submitted its first Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS) rating to the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. We are proud to announce that OC received a SILVER rating for its committment to sustainability in education, operations, planning, administration and engagement!
You can read the highlights of Okanagan College’s STARS submission here. The college’s strongest marks were in the areas of grounds, water management, diversity and affordability, coordination and planning, human resources, investments, buildings, and co-curricular education. Areas for future growth include sustainable curriculum, transportation and waste management.
The STARS process is the metric assigned to monitor Okanagan College’s progress towards its Sustainability Key Direction in the OC Strategic Plan.
STARS is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance. STARS® was developed by AASHE with broad participation from the higher education community.
STARS is designed to:
- Provide a framework for understanding sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions using a common set of measurements developed with broad participation from the campus sustainability community.
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability.
- Facilitate information sharing about higher education sustainability practices and performance.
- Build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community.
The STARS framework is intended to engage and recognize the full spectrum of colleges and universities – from community colleges to research universities, and from institutions just starting their sustainability programs to long-time campus sustainability leaders. STARS encompasses long-term sustainability goals for already high-achieving institutions as well as entry points of recognition for institutions that are taking first steps toward sustainability.