Cafeteria Takes a Leadership Role
At the KLO cafeteria, change is in the air – or should we say, in the food!
The cafeteria has taken several steps to make our food service more environmentally sustainable and socially responsible:
- Currently, all of the vegetable waste resulting from cafeteria food production is composted at Bylands Garden Centre. (Watch out for composting available throughout the KLO campus within the next year.)
- Goodbye Styrofoam take-out! For a meal on-the-go, they now offer molded fiber containers that are biodegradable, made from sugarcane and bamboo, and meet the ASTM D 6868 standards specifications for compostability.
- The cafeteria’s coffee provider, Seattle’s Best, offers several Fair Trade Certified and organic coffee choices. Showing real leadership, the cafeteria has committed to offer exclusively Fair Trade Certified™ and organic coffee within a year.
To do your part to eat responsibly:
- Bring your own travel mug to the cafeteria for coffee. The maximum they charge is for a 16 ounce cup, even if you have a larger travel mug.
- Don’t use take-out! unless you are actually going somewhere. Choose ceramic plates and metal cutlery and save yourself the take-out fee.
- The cafeteria even offers “to stay” small coffee mugs.
- Choose organic and Fair Trade Certified™ coffees… and tell the staff that you appreciate those choices.
- Choose vegetarian meals more often; animal protein takes 10x the energy and makes 10x the CO2 emissions as plant protein.
- Watch your waste: take only what you plan on eating, even at the sumptuous buffet!